“Ask not what your country can do for you…

America's First Textbook

America's First Textbook

I am not altogether certain which is better between: having a passion that rushes through one’s body like a torrent river carving the way for knowledge; or, having an independent professional person read something one’s written and not only reaffirms what’s been written, but adds so much to it from their own life’s experience.

We began this series on “Tolerance” to illustrate what America is all about. From the nation’s humble beginnings with indentured servants, criminals, tobacco farmers, who had a real stake in the land and the property of their ambitions.

Furthermore, on the other side whereas other countries did not encourage or allow religious freedoms, in fact, forbade it even to the point of persecution, people risked their existence on the hope of finding America. Today was that day in my life when I received the following comment:

blue-quotesGreat piece. I was there, and can attest to it. In high school at the time (WW II) I well remember such things as horsemeat on Wednesdays at my local butcher shop., home-made soap, gasoline rationing so tight that everybody doubled up in car pools and hitch hiked, brown outs, and actual blackouts for fear that Hitler would somehow get some of his Luftwaffe to the U.S. to bomb the daylights out of us. It was a taut piece of U.S. history, which spawned the so-called “greatest generation.”

In no way, under the same circumstances, could I ever see a return to this pattern of behavior on the part of today’s spoiled citizenry.

 In American society today, just one day before the year 2009 can we say that America is as tolerant as the dawning of the new nation; less tolerant, or has America become so tolerant that the very virtues that instilled ‘The Greatest Generation’ or even ‘The American Dream’ have been exploited beyond recognition? Think about this…

During earlier times in American history every body worked in some way to support their community. In fact, many scholars are of the opinion that one’s rights are a direct result of their service to that community; subsequently, service became ‘ambition’ and to this day it is alleged that one who has ambition will ascend to the top.

But the simple question remains: Who is responsible for the transmission of values, morals, and ethics within the community?

The answers to this question are what the remainder of this series on tolerance will address. As for now, in early colonial America every body worked and the situation was Mom was tending to everything from hand beating fur for clothes to milking cows, whilst Dad was out either hunting or tending to the fields for family survival. If you were in the privileged one percent (1%) maybe you received the gift of an education; however, if you were in the other ninety-nine percent (99%) you had your daily chores as well that went from about 5:00am until bedtime.

Understand this first and foremost: If you attended school, the teacher was the “Agent of Change” and guided one through puberty and adolescence and transmitted respect for others, how to live in a society, and the ethics it took to be civil. The notion of arguing with the teacher, or showing disrespect of any kind earned one a permanent detention pass back to the farm.

 

squiggly_blue

Advertisements
%d bloggers like this: